Thursday, May 24, 2007

Our Man in Amman



I'm in Amman. Now, don't get excited. Read that statement more carefully, please. I am not reporting on some home-erotic adventure, I am merely stating my location.
I nearly said 'I have gone up Jordan for a few days', but I've never even met Katie Price, and to honest I don't really want to. The truth of the matter is much more pleasant, and far less mundane --- I am currently in the capital city of the Hashemite Kingdom of Jordan. So titter ye not.

To be quite honest, I wasn't really looking forward to this trip. First of all, it's for work. Secondly, I have recently been to Tel-Aviv and Dubai, and was under the impression that those were the two most fun, liberal, and progressive places in the Middle East. Now don't get me wrong. I liked both places --- especially Dubai --- but I have really been taken aback by how liberal, friendly and pleasant Amman really is. I've only been here a couple of days, but my initial impression is that this place is so much more cool than anywhere else I've been in the Middle East.
Here's are Amman's plus points:
  • Good amenities (shops, bars, restaurants)
  • Good infrastructure (roads, lighting, internet, etc)
  • No real traffic problem (crazy driving, but what did you expect?)
  • Very liberal attitude (alcohol, dress, etc)
  • Run by Jordanians for Jordanians
  • Sense of being a real working city
  • Friendly people
  • Complete feeling of safety
  • Attractive architecture virtually everwhere

I'm told that the only more fun place in the Middle East is Beirut. I might actually be going there some time this year, so expect a report.

2 comments:

eau de nil said...

Why would you want to know Katie Price when you know Katie Dawson, hmmm?!

Charlie said...

Those Katies - they're all the same...

You'd love Beirut - the Lebanese make the Jordanians seem surly and unfriendly.